Indivisible Women Tarrant County (IWTC) was formed in mid-2017 by four women in Fort Worth, Texas, to fulfill three vital needs in Tarrant County:
- provide individuals of all backgrounds with tools to become active citizens, community members, and political leaders
- engage voters through voter registration, voter turnout, and civic education efforts
- collaborate with a diverse range of democratic and progressive groups to encourage lasting, positive change
IWTC is a grassroots effort that seeks to complement and amplify the work of local advocacy groups, candidates, and elected officials in Tarrant County, Texas. IWTC aims to connect existing and emerging activist groups with one another and develop effective, coordinated strategies to achieve our common goals. Together we can find win-win solutions that maximize our resources and our impact.
- Empowering women: At all levels of government, women (particularly women of color, LGBTQ individuals, and women in other minority groups) remain underrepresented in elective office and positions of leadership. Similarly, women’s contributions to their communities remain undervalued and are in many cases even missing from the historical record. While we work with organizations of all types that support democratic and progressive values, we focus particularly on addressing the issues that disproportionately impact women.
- Voter engagement: We encourage and actively engage with residents and citizens of Tarrant County to help all understand and participate in every level of government, and to hold their representatives accountable. We disseminate information about candidates and elected officials, participate in voter registration and get out the vote efforts, and promote civic education.
- Coalition-building: We believe that we are stronger together, and that our goals can best be achieved through FOCUS (Finding Our Common Unifying Strengths). We seek to encourage a strong coalition of progressives in Tarrant County by developing resources for coordinated action, hosting a community activism calendar, and providing information about resources, strategies, and best practices to a broad array of advocacy groups.
We’re just getting started, so watch this space!